Undoubtedly, you’ve seen blister packaging on store shelves, but have you ever wondered what it is and why it’s so widely used?
Blister packaging combines the transparent appeal of plastic with the protective properties of paperboard or plastic backing. This packaging method is essential for showcasing and safeguarding various consumer goods, ranging from electronics and pharmaceuticals to toys and cosmetics.
What Is Blister Packaging?
Blister packaging is transparent plastic packaging with a molded plastic “blister” or cavity that holds a product and a paperboard or plastic backing.
The primary purpose of blister packaging is to securely encase products while allowing consumers to see the contents before making a purchase. This packaging is a popular and widely used form in the retail industry.
This process keeps the product in place and protects against tampering and external factors such as moisture and dust. Blister packaging is known for its tamper-evident design, as any attempts to open the package are usually noticeable.
Reasons for Blister Packaging
The original purpose of blister packaging was to create an experience isolated to the day when taking medicine.
Related Post: How the Heat Sealing Process for Blister Packs Work
However, blister packaging offers several advantages, such as excellent product visibility, cost-effectiveness, and protection against damage during transportation and handling. It is also customizable in size, shape, and design, making it a versatile choice for various products.
Benefits of Blister Packaging include:
- Individual Packaging
- Maintaining Product Integrity
- Tamper Protection
- Preventing Accidental Drug Misuse
- Product Visibility
- Transportation Protection
- Highly Customizable
Everyday Items That Are Blister Packaged
Core parts of our daily routine revolve around items that were in blister packaging at one point.
Related Post: Best Adhesives for Blister Packaging
Most items in stores are offered in blister packaging because of how durable the packaging is. The items below represent everyday items found in blister packaging in a store or commerce situation.
- Small electronic devices like memory cards, earphones, charging cords, and USB drives often come in blister packaging. The clear visibility of the product helps consumers assess the quality and compatibility.
- Individually Packaged Capsule Medication
- Blister packaging is widely used for pharmaceutical products like pills and capsules. It ensures proper dosage control, protects the medication from moisture and contamination, and provides tamper-evident security.
- Office Supplies
- Ink cartridges for printers and pens are everyday office items to see sealed in blister packaging.
- Cosmetics and Beauty Products
- Blister packaging is a popular choice for cosmetics, as it showcases the product and maintains its integrity, preventing damage.
- Pop Culture Collectibles
- Action figures, Barbie collectible cards, and other toys and collectibles benefit from blister packaging, which allows both sides of the product to be displayed.
- Food and Snacks
- Blister packaging is also used in the food industry for items like chewing gum and mints, offering an easy way to dispense individual servings while preserving freshness.
- Home Improvement Tools & Pieces
- Hardware items and tools, like screws, nails, and drill bits, are frequently packaged in clamshell or mock clamshell blister packs, ensuring easy access and secure storage.
Complete Packaging Solutions & Blister Packaging
Our company specializes in providing thermoformed packaging solutions to clients needing to create isolated product cavities. This means we can create blister packaging specifically designed for each client product we design for.